History of Community Psychiatry Reading list
Revised March, 2005
- Bachrach, Leona, and Clark, Gordon. (Chapter 1: The First 30 Years: A Historical Overview of Community Mental Health) in "Practicing Psychiatry in the Community” (Vaccaro & Clark, editors), APA press, 1996.
- Beers, Clifford W. “A Mind that Found It self”, University of Pittsburgh Press, 1981 (originally published in 1921).
- Bloom, Bernard L. "Community Mental Health: A General Introduction". Brooks/Cole publishing company, 1977.
- Borus, Jonathon, chapter in: Nicholi, Armand M. Textbook of Psychiatry, Belknap Press, 1988.
- Breakey, William R. “Integrated Mental Health Services: Modern Community Psychiatry”. Oxford University Press, 1996.
- Caplan, Gerald. Principles of Preventive Psychiatry. Basic Books, 1964.
- Cutler, David. “Four Decades of Community Mental Health: a Symphony in Four Movements”. Community Mental Health Journal, Vol. 39, No. 5, October 2003.
- Docherty, John P. Inpatient psychiatry in the 1990’s (new directions for mental health services series No. Mhs 63), Jossey Bass, 1994.
- Ewalt, Jack (editor). “Action for Mental Health”, Final Report of the Joint Commission on Mental Illness and Health. Basic Books, 1961.
- Foley, H. A., and Sharfstein, S. S. "Madness and Government: Who cares for the mentally ill?" American Psychiatric Association Press, 1983.
- Goldstein, Jackie L., Godemont, Marc M. L. “The Legend and Lessons of Geel, Belgium: A 1500-Year-Old Legend, a 21st-Century Model”. Community Mental Health Journal, Vol. 39, No. 5, October, 2003.
- Grob, Gerald N. The mad among us: A history of the care of America’s mentally ill, Free Press, 1994.
- Grob, Gerald N. From Asylum to Community; Mental Health Policy in Modern America. Princeton University Press, 1991.
- Horn, Margo. Before it’s too late: The child guidance movement in the United States 1922-1945, (American Civilization Series). Temple University Press, 1989.
- "Public Psychiatry and Prevention"(Chapter 42), in: The American Psychiatric Press Textbook of Psychiatry (Third Edition).
- Rochefort, David A. From Poorhouse to Homelessness: Policy analysis and mental health care, Second Edition, Auburn House publishers, 1997.
- Shorter, Edward. A History of Psychiatry: From the Era of the Asylum to the Age of Prozac. John Wiley and Sons, 1997.
- Thompson, KS. Reinventing progressive community psychiatry: the use of history. Community Mental Health Journal. 29(6): 495-508, 1993 Dec.
- Vega, W. A. & Murphy, J. W. Culture and the Restructuring of Community Mental Health. New York. Greenwood Press, 1990.
Compiled by Karen Hochman, M. D., F. R. C. P. C.,
Assistant Professor, Emory University School of Medicine,
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Atlanta, GA, 30322
Acknowledgement: This reference list was compiled with the assistance of the American Association of Community Psychiatrists (AACP) list-serve members.